Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lsher's List: Goals revisited

Hey

Well, here it is, June already. My how time flies. My New Years Eve e-mail was about setting goals for the new year. Long term goals, middle term goals, short term goals, etc.

So how has everyone been doing?

Well 97% of the people in the world, don’t even have goals. 99% of the people in the world haven’t written them down.

But regardless of where you stand or sit in the spectrum now, today, this minute, is the perfect time to take a moment for yourself, sit down, and think about what you’re doing, and to what aim you are doing it..

Upon reflection, most of us will probably realize that we’ve made some progress on some fronts, more progress on others, and no progress, even stepped backwards on the rest.

But, be not discouraged. Today is a brand new day. Whatever was done yesterday is exactly that- done.

One of great things about our government is that a new administration can take over, and make 180 degree turns, change things radically, and start fresh.

My favorite time of the year while I was in school in New England, was September, the beginning of the new school year, new classes, new professors, new clothing, a new beginning.

Well, I’ve decided that today I am going to bring you a new beginning, and I give it to you to start fresh, no matter what or where you may be. Yesterday is over, and it is now tomorrow.

And it’s a brand new day.

So what should we do?

Stop what you are doing (well obviously you’ve stopped what you are doing, when you started to read this email- duh). Take the phone off the hook, and turn off the ringer on your cell phone.

Relax.

Close your eyes.

Now think about what you would be doing, if you could be doing whatever it is that you wanted to do, or if you could have anything that you wanted- either material goods, relationships’, prestige, power, or whatever.

Or Pick an area in your life that is important to you, that you want to improve (Family/Marriage/Relationship; Work/Profession; Health/fitness, etc.)

Figure out what it is, the number one most important thing that you really want for yourself in this one area of your life.

Maybe it’s a new house, or maybe it’s a better relationship with your spouse. Maybe it’s a new career, or maybe it’s a new account. Maybe it’s a new figure for your body, or maybe it’s to run the marathon. Whatever it is, figure out what is your biggest “goal” for yourself.

Now for the hard part:

WRITE IT DOWN

My goal is to……………………….

Make it clear and specific, the clearer and more specific the better.

Now that you have written it down, you are in the top 1% of achievers in the world!!!!!!

Your goal is now attainable.

Now let’s fine tune it a little, like setting a deadline. And if you don’t reach your goal by the deadline, set another deadline. No one sets unreachable goals, only unreasonable deadlines. Figure out what else you need to do to reach your goals. Do them.

Remember, when setting your goals, think big. Don’t let anyone talk you out of setting high goals. Shoot for the stars. “The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” Michelangelo

And remember the most important thing is that: Failure is not an option!

So how have I done? My mother used to say “Do as I say, not as I do”.

Reminds me of an old joke, Jewish mother says to her son-
“so, ask me how I am doing”
"How are you doing?
“Don’t ask”

These are the goals I had in the email that I sent out on 12/31/08 to you:

I am so happy now that I am the #1 Most Successful Real Estate Broker on Staten Island, measured by the amount of sales and listings. On my way.
I sell one house per week or 52 houses this year. On my way.
I get referrals every day from the people who read my emails, and from the people they pass them along to. Not every day, but getting much more frequent.
I write the most successful email publication on Staten Island, reaching over 5000 people who read it. I still stop at peoples office to get their email addresses, and am adding names all of the time.
I earn $1 Million Dollars. On my way.
In 2051, I will have lived a meaningful, healthy, enjoyable life for over 100 years. We’ll see in 2051.
I run the New York City Marathon I am scheduled for surgery on June 25th to correct the arthritis in my toes so that I can start running again.
I serve on several charitable and quasi-governmental boards. Not on any boards yet, but I did get involved in the March of Dimes.
I am wide awake and out of bed by 5:30 am every day, Oops, not doing well on this one
I eat my breakfast, first of my 5 or 6 meals for the day. I eat my 5 or 6 meals most days,
I am at the gym by 6:30, almost every day, beating various previous personal bests in my work out. I reached my short range goal of 25 pushups per workout by June 1st , and I reached it two weeks early, and am now working on form- today I was able to do 25 full range of motion in a row. I increased the cross trainer to level 10 (from level 9).
I wear a 38 regular suit. I lost 4 inches on my waste, and am down a shirt size. Unfortunately I regressed from Easter to Mothers day and found the oatmeal raisin square cookies at Pathmark again. But I am proud to say, that I read a book, “the end of over eating”, and am back on track. More on that book in a different email, but boy, did I learn a lot! (It’s all a plot. by the food industry).

How are you doing on yours?

Finally, it is important that you read your goals, say them out loud, every day. Keep them in the forefront of your mind.

Good luck.

…………………to be continued

No comments: